Sunday, August 28, 2011

I'll Throw In The Kitchen Sink


I've had it with our kitchen faucet. It's this fancy Kohler model that I can't find parts for. I found some generic O-Rings to fix its leaky stem, but otherwise parts are hard to find. About three years ago the diverter valve for the sprayer stopped working. Lateley the valve has caused the faucet to occasionally develop BPH (benign prostatic hypertrophy) and just go into dribble mode. Last week I was cleaning the fridge and just couldn't take the lack of spray nozzle any longer.

I went to Lowe's and picked up a cheap Price-Pfister brand one. I haven't changed a faucet in forty years and I was amazed at how easy it is now. No more pipe compound, basin wrench, pipe cutting etc. I just had to replace the original plastic pipes with flexible hoses. Everything went relatively smoothly except for having a problem snapping in the sprayer hose (I had to remove the whole fixture once because it didn't just "snap in" like the directions stated). Only three trips to Lowe's to get the job done. The replacement generic $40 single handle faucet is perfectly adequate. I'm so pumped-up I may even put a new toilet seat in the guest bathroom. I don't want to go nuts here, we'll probably sell this dump next year. Plumbing is much easier than it was in circa 1968. Plus, I have a working spray nozzle!

5 comments:

UF said...

Wait, you pulled the sprayer nozzle out of the sink and stretched it over to clean out the fridge?

Babba Gi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Babba Gi said...

I wanted the sprayer nozzle to rinse off the pull out shelves and the drawers I washing in the sink. I never thought of putting the garden hose through the kitchen window. It's probably too "red-neck" for the condo-association. A true "red-neck" would put the fridge in the back of the pick-up and bring it to the self-serve car wash.

M- said...

You're selling the joint and going where?

Babba-Gi said...

I'm retiring and we are probably going to move into an assisted-living community.