Tuesday, August 24, 2010

It was worth a shot

The Bars-Leak worked for about a week. I can't deny reality any longer. After seventeen years and 160,000 miles the Old's need a radiator. The seam where the upper hose goes in is opened up. It makes sense, since that is where the hottest water and steam enters the radiator. When I bought the car it had 79,000 miles on it. I drained the cooling system and what came out was rusty water that one would expect from a steam boiler. I'm in for a pound now so I'll keep it til the Spring.

3 comments:

jondale said...

At least it's easy to get to...

D- said...

Look at it this way, the stop leak "goo" may be helping you avoid doing the head gaskets for a little while longer. Maybe you'll get 200K out of the "Garage Man's Companion"(GMC) vehicle after all. :)

Babba-Gi said...

When I picked it up I told the mechanic "the only thing left to replace is the heater core"; he said "you might not want to say that too loud while standing close to the car".