Friday, November 04, 2005

Living on the Parkway




Fall is coming to North Carolina. The leaves are turning and there is a nip in the air. I actually had to use my windshield washer to get the frost off my windshield. It does warm up into the 70's by the afternoon. This weekend should find the leaves at their best colors, although this isn't suppose to be a great year for a vivid fall. Back in Oakland they already had their first taste of winter. They had about 10 inches of wet heavy snow that brought down so many trees that 1/3 of the county has no electricity. Hopefully if the weatherman is right tomorrow we will go kayaking. Now I did kayak in Maryland in November but it always required a wet suit.

We visited the Folk Art Center on the Blue Ridge Parkway. We found it after throwing the Map-Quest directions out the window. I think the people @ Map-Quest just make stuff up. This is the third time they got me completley lost. The Folk Art Center was great. They had a lot of art from from the local craftspeople. The prices for things were astronomical. There was no photography allowed in the galleries so I couldn't photograph any of the art work as I did at Notre-Dame. So we are enjoying the western North Carolina fall and glad we are not back on that mountain in western Maryland suffering through our first Nor-Easter without electricity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What fun. I am jealous.

U.F.

P.S. On Mapquest, notice the note about calling ahead to confirm directions? If I'm going to do that, why the heck bother with Mapquest?

Oh, by the way, try maps.google.com. It's way cooler. Esp. when you click and drag on the map.