Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Savages

Babba and his sister

We went to see the movie "The Savages" at the Fine Arts Theatre. It starred two of my favorite actors, Laura Linney and Phillip Seymour Hoffman. It is about a sister and brother who have to place their less than perfect elderly father in a nursing home. Having gone through this scenario before it was great to see these two fine actors give life to what my sister and I went through. The characters were perfect. All the emotions of the circumstance are brought to light. As all great movies its strength was in its characters and the emotions they reveal. Being a limited release indie film I doubt many will see it. Comparing it to the Hollywood film "The Bucket List" I can see why nothing good comes out of Hollywood. In the "Bucket List" two guys that are diagnosed with cancer go about doing all the crazy things they never did. This is pure Hollywood. When a person is diagnosed with a terminal illness they don't want to go sky diving or run the bulls in Spain. They want to go to work another day, they want to be close to their family. Try sky diving after chemotherapy.

If you want to see a fantastic movie go find "The Savages". If you want high priced schlock go to the mall and see "The Bucket List". The critics panned "The Bucket List", yet it will make $ on the strength of Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. The same people who pick style over substance. The same people who vote for Huckabee.

Speaking of senior moments. This morning we had a Last Will and Testament party. We invited three good friends and our neighborhood Notary over to witness our wills. We got the pesky signing out of the away in 20 minutes and then 3 pots of coffee and two hours later the party broke up. All that coffee necessitated a bathroom stop when I got to the theatre and then another one about an hour into the film. After going to the rest room I come back into the movie and it's pitch black. I wait about 20 seconds for my eyes to adjust but the scene on the screen was a parking lot at midnight. So I thought I spied CP but after I scooted in and sat down I realized I was next to a young woman sitting by herself. I slink away apologizing and mumbling some incoherent babble about the wrong row. All the while I can hear CP just laughing away. I left the theatre via they emergency exit before the lights came on. The only thing that could have made it worse is if I used my Sling Blade voice. Next time I'll wear ATTENDS.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come to Rochester for a visit. I have people here that must meet you. We'll throw a "Babba's in the room, turn out the lights" party.

Babba-Gi said...

Do you have a job for me?

Marianne said...

Dad, I love you so much. You just made me laugh in my freezing cold apartment.

Anonymous said...

http://web.anes.rochester.edu/Public/content/Jobs-Jun05crna.php

Anonymous said...

That one won't work. Try this:

http://tinyurl.com/2ju8k4